In a commercial real estate sales team you really do need to have some solid goals to take the business and your individual results forward. Taking every day as it comes will not do much for your responsibilities and listings. You need to have a plan.
In every sales team you will see people that are on track and those that are not. Those agents that really have their business and focus on track to good results are fewer than those that do not. Most agents operate in the 'generic zone'. You have a choice, and you can fix that.
We all have choices in commercial real estate agency to do the right things every day. Sometimes it gets a bit 'cloudy' as to what we should be doing. The pressures of listing, clients, inspections, clients and prospecting can put a strain on the working day.
The fact of the matter is that we do have choices in commercial real estate agency and we can decide to do only the things that really matter. It is difficult to change old and bad habits, but when you do, the results for you as an agent are significant and the property market takes on a new shape with better listings and clients to serve.
Here are some good goals to monitor and track as you strive to change your work focus and market share:
- Improve listing quality at every opportunity. It is a fact that better listings of higher quality will attract more inquiries from property buyers and tenants.
- Grow listing numbers through deliberate prospecting. On a daily basis you should devote about 2 hours to the process of making the calls and meeting new people.
- Define your primary market geographically so you stay inside a defined area of focus. In this way you can understand what your market is doing and how it is happening today. You can then shape your efforts to attract the better listings and clients.
- Increase gross claims on a monthly and quarterly basis. As part of that process understand what the peak selling or leasing seasons may be for your zone of activity.
- Grow numbers of properties sold and leased. You can do that when you focus on the quality of the listing.
- Shorten time on market through marketing and vendor paid advertising.
- Grow exclusive listing numbers as you can then control your stock and inspections.
- Build your database so that you are improving your prospecting efforts and model.
All of these things help you to understand what the property market is doing and how it is happening. Information like this will help you build your commercial real estate business with good clients and listings.